Beauty Fashion Lifestyle

Tuesday 27 August 2013

An Assortment Of High Street Skincare


Hi guys. Over the years I have tried a a wide variety of skincare products, some of which I have loved and some that haven't been so great. It is often the case that I read a few positive reviews about a product and I buy it hoping that it will do wonders for my skin and sometimes it does, but I am often left disappointed and then I end up having a hoard of products in my toiletries cupboard in the bathroom that I never touch again. On the other hand, I have also found quite a few skincare products that I really enjoy using and make such a difference to my skin. Today I have decided to pick five products to review and give my honest opinion about. So, lets get started!

1. Boots Botanics Ultra Calm Gentle Cleansing Cream - £4.49
I absolutely love this cleansing cream! Despite being low in price and Boots own brand, the product feels so luxurious on my skin. I use this product by applying it directly on to a cotton pad and swiping it across my face to remove any make-up and impurities that I have left on my skin. The products is very gentle which great for those with sensitive skin. In addition, I really like the scent of this cleanser as it contains marshmallow. I also find that my skin is super soft after using this cream, which is great if you want to then apply make-up instantly after using the product as your foundation will glide on really easily.

2. Simple Spotless Skin Triple Action Face Wash - £3.99
I only ever use this face wash if I have had a serious spot or blemish breakout. This is because I find the product rather drying on my skin, which is never a good look! The face wash is a gel consistency with a few little beads in it that can help gently exfoliate your skin. The wash claims to 'deeply cleanse, purify and tone' the skin as well as removing hidden dirt and unclogging pores. I would like to say that I enjoy using this product and it works effectively but I have never seen a real improvement in my skin from using it and so, I would say that this face wash is mediocre at best.

3. Clearasil Ultra Blemish + Marks Treatment Cream - £6.79
I bought this product a few months ago because whenever I get blemishes, my skin is always left with dark marks where the blemish once was. I have been using this cream of a night time before I go to sleep, however when I wake up in the mornings, my skin is left with a strange flaky residue on my face which is really drying. I tried to look past this but after a week of using the product and not seeing any noticeable difference in the condition of my skin, I unfortunately gave up on this products as it just had too many cons as opposed to pros. The only positive thing I have to say about this product is that the smell of the cream is really quite lovely! Instead of using this product to eliminate blemish marks, I have now started using Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil (as I recently reviewed here) and so far it is proving much more effective! 

4. Garnier Pure Active Intensive Charcoal Scrub - £4.99
I have already mentioned this product in a previous post, My Recent Beauty Buys, back in May but I had only started to use the product and so I could not give a full and accurate review. Since using the product several times, I have actually been a little disappointed with the results. The scrub claims to help fight spots and fade marks, yet I feel that the product does neither of these things. In addition, the little charcoal beads are very abrasive and rough on my skin and can cause my face to feel very tights and dry afterwards. The only plus side to this product is that when I use it before I go to bed, my skin is noticeably less oily in the mornings - which is great for my annoying, combination skin.

5. Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips - £7.99
Last but not least are the infamous nose strips from Bioré. After hearing great things about these strips from a friend, I decided to give them a go because I am rather prone to blackheads around my nose due to the fact that I have oily, combination skin. The first time I used these strips, I followed the instructions carefully and left the product on for roughly 10-15 minutes. I found removing the strip quite painful as it felt like I was ripping my skin off (ouch!) and much to my dismay, when I looked at the strip after its removal, none of my blackheads had been removed at all. Furthermore, I gave the product one last try a few weeks later to have the same thing happen again. Considering the price of this product is quite steep in my opinion for a mere six strips, I am thoroughly disappointed with this product and I am definitely going to be trying other more effective ways to remove my blackheads from now on.

I hope that these five mini and rather mixed reviews have given all of you an insight into which high street skincare products really work and which ones are a little disappointing. If any of you have tried any of the products that I have mentioned in this post, I would love to know how you go on with them so please do not hesitate to leave a comment below. Thank you :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment