Beauty Fashion Lifestyle

Monday 20 May 2013

Creative Writing: Anorexia


Hi guys, today my post is going to be a little bit different to the usual topics I cover. Over the past year or so, I have developed a passion for writing – hence why I have since started up my blog. Throughout my school life, English was always my strongest subject yet I never really wanted to do anything with it (until now!) Dislcaimer: I do not mean to upset or offend anybody with my writing and I have tried to deal with this topic in an extremely sensitive manner.

A few months ago, I decided that I would like to create a written piece about anorexia. In this day in age, anorexia nervosa is a very sensitive subject and it affects millions of people worldwide. The reason that I am posting this piece is so that I can share my work with you but I also want to make more people aware about the effects that anorexia can have on many men and women all over the world.

“This girl was different to the one she previously knew. Spencer used to be the life and soul of the party, always the centre of attention. She was breathtakingly beautiful and she made everybody around her feel like they belonged, like they were a part of something. She was alive, but this soon changed.

Now, her face was pale and sallow. Her eyes like two piercing black holes, vacant yet undoubtedly still mysterious. Her hair was limp and tangled, falling dead straight from centre like a pair of curtains trying to hide her face. Her cheekbones were sharp and well-defined, rivalling those of a supermodel, yet she was far from beautiful.  Her lips were quivering with fear. She slowly untied her dressing gown and let it fall effortlessly to the floor, landing gracefully at her feet. Standing in her underwear, clinging to her shapeless hips, Spencer was vulnerable. She stared listlessly, examining her gaunt frame over and over again. Skeletal and frail, she was a ghost of her former self. How had she let it get this bad? She lifted up her hand and gently brushed it against her collar bone, it was so… prominent. She looked down at her concaved, hollow chest and then her ribs, counting them with ease using just her index finger.  She was overwhelmed with emotion, her stomach churning and convulsing. She was famished, yet she wouldn’t give in. Eating was not an option. Then, Spencer froze.  She was completely still, motionless. A darkness slowly crept over her, filling the void inside her head with despair. She was numb, lifeless like a corpse. She had a sudden realisation that she was lying to herself, her condition was getting worse. Every day, every hour, every minute. She realised that in order to get on the path to recovery, she first had to admit her illness to herself. Anorexia.”  

This is just a little snippet of the piece but I am hoping to expand on it in the near future. I am always open to constructive criticism, as I constantly want to improve my work and so I welcome any suggestions that any of you may have. To read more about anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders, please click here.

Thank you for reading!

1 comment: